Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Social Proofing and Getting A Job

A few weeks ago, in class, my attention was drawn to a blog post about social proofing.  The blog touts the following four actions as the basis for public relevance in writing:
  • finding people
  • contacting people
  • interacting and collaborating
  • others' use of one's published content
In thinking about these actions, I found a correlation to getting a job, something which I have done several times.  The economic value of each student is directly based on knowledge of how to get a job, so I find it valuable to put my experience here.  The process of getting a job, namely: networking, applying and being interviewed, working together, and shipping products, has been built into our society and is the basis of our modern economy.  It seems to me that there is a correlation between these two topics, for example:

Networking = Finding People
Applying and being interviewed = Contacting People
Working for a company = Interacting and Collaborating
Shipping a product = permitting others to use my published content

With these comparisons, I can see how social proofs are a valuable thing to learn as a student before being exposed to the job market.  Perhaps other similar connections exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment